On Air Now Weekend Anthems 6:00pm - Midnight
Now Playing M & S Presents The Girl Next Door Salsoul Nugget (If You Wanna)

Last UK blast furnaces days from closure as Chinese owners cut off crucial supplies

Friday, 4 April 2025 07:38

By Ed Conway, economics and data editor

​​​​​​​The last blast furnaces left operating in Britain could see their fate sealed within days, after their Chinese owners took the decision to cut off the crucial supply of ingredients keeping them running.

Jingye, the owner of British Steel in Scunthorpe, has, according to union representatives, cancelled future orders for the iron ore, coal and other raw materials needed to keep the furnaces running.

The upshot is that they may have to close next month - even sooner than the earliest date suggested for its closure.

Read more: Thousands of jobs at risk as British Steel consults unions over closure

The fate of the blast furnaces - the last two domestic sources of virgin steel, made from iron ore rather than recycled - is likely to be determined in a matter of days, with the Department for Business and Trade now actively pondering nationalisation.

The upshot is that even as Britain contends with a trade war across the Atlantic, it is now working against the clock to secure the future of steelmaking at Scunthorpe.

The talks between the government and Jingye broke down last week after the Chinese company, which bought British Steel out of receivership in 2020, rejected a £500m offer of public money to replace the existing furnaces with electric arc furnaces.

The sum is the same one it offered to Tata Steel, which has shut down the other remaining UK blast furnaces in Port Talbot and is planning to build electric furnaces - which have far lower carbon emissions.

However, the owners argue that the amount is too little to justify extra investment at Scunthorpe, and said last week they were now consulting on the date of shutting both the blast furnaces and the attached steelworks.

Since British Steel is the main provider of steel rails to Network Rail - as well as other construction steels available from only a few sites in the world - the closure would leave the UK more reliant on imports for critical infrastructure sites.

However, since the site belongs to its Chinese owners, a decision to nationalise the site would involve radical steps government officials are wary of taking.

They also fear leaving taxpayers exposed to a potentially loss-making business for the long run.

The dilemma has been heightened by the sharp turn in geopolitical sentiment following Donald Trump's return to the White House.

The incipient trade war and threatened cut in American support to Europe have sparked fresh calls for countries to act urgently to secure their own supplies of critical materials, especially those used for defence and infrastructure.

Read more:
Car manufacturers fined £461m for collusion
There were no winners from Trump's tariff gameshow

Gareth Stace, head of UK Steel, the industry lobby group, said: "Talks seem to have broken down between government and British Steel.

"My advice to government is: please, Jonathan Reynolds, Business Secretary, get back round that negotiating table, thrash out a deal, and if a deal can't be found in the next few days, then I fear for the very future of the sector, but also here for Scunthorpe steelworks."

British Steel declined to comment.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2025: Last UK blast furnaces days from closure as Chinese owners cut off crucial supplies

More from Business & Finance

Island FM VIP

Get more with the Island FM VIP!

Just Played Songs